(Australian Associated Press)
GOVERNMENT ACTION ON DIGITAL PLATFORMS
* $26.9 million for special unit in the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to monitor digital platform markets and take action.
* First inquiry by new unit will look at the supply of online advertising and ad-tech services.
* Media regulation to be overhauled so online platforms are covered in the same way as traditional media.
* First stage of reforms will look at a uniform classification framework, whether there should be Australian content obligations on subscription video-on-demand services and ways to boost Australian film and television content.
* A voluntary code to address power imbalance between digital platforms and news media businesses to be finalised no later than November 2020.
* If there is no agreement, a code could be mandated.
* Review of the Privacy Act to protect consumer data.
(Source: Government media release)